Friday, December 10, 2010

Frister & Rossmann Sewing Machine

Photo at right is late 2001 shortly after purchasing the machine in front of the tree. It had been at an antique shop and marked $50. The wooden top was locked so I could not see the machine, only a little peek and knew that it was a cream color. I had seen a cream colored Frister & Rossmann hand crank sewing machine on the internet so I was hoping that is what it was. When I told the owner I wanted to see the machine but there was no key, she said, "You can have it for $20." Sold!

When I was able to open the machine there was no hand crank, it was an electric machine but missing the foot control, European plug so I wouldn't be able to use it anyway. Reproduction hand cranks would not fit so poor baby sat with no control or hand crank. In December, when the Treadleon list had the Christmas challenge I sent the picture of me with tree and machine.  Captain, Dick Wightman, asked what kind of a machine that was at the base of the tree. When I told him it needed a hand crank he said, "I've had a white Frister & Rossmann hand crank for eight years waiting to find a machine, I'll sell it to you for $25 and turn a maple handle to replace the original porcelain." Deal made. 


Here it is with the correct and matching hand crank with the maple turned handle. Since I like to nickname my sewing machines he is Latte Louis.

2 comments:

  1. I have the same machine as this. Do you know exactly the age of this model?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just bid for a F and R machine which appears very similar but has a rotary/oscilating shuttle and spoked handwheel (can't see any other details). It is fitted with a cream motor and footpedal (in shape of a shoe); any ideas on model or age?

    ReplyDelete